We researched car seat safety and tried to find a location in the motorhome where we could put a second car seat, we tried modifying the bench seat at the table but it all came down to needing an additional forward facing seat mounted to the frame.
Modification 2: Bunk Beds. We realized after a camping trip that the kids were getting too big to sleep in the bathtub and Moses Basket and we were going to have to put them somewhere. We considered using the couches and and table like intended, but the kids have a much earlier bed time than we adults do, so having the kids in the living area would be inconvenient to say the least.
Danny and Sunny had already installed bunk beds in their fifth wheel and so we decided to do the same. I thought it would be easy, move the bed over, build some bunks and call it a day... Wrong.
Pulling apart the cabinets surrounding the bed was pretty easy, a little hard to keep them nice enough to put back together, but doable.
So, I started by taking out the jack knife couch/bed and looking for mounting options. I found a plate that was welded to the frame that I could reach through one of the compartments. I searched through the local vehicle parts reallocation facility for a seat that had a flat mounting position and LATCH points for a car seat. I found one in a Ford Aerostar and purchased it for pretty cheap, took it home and mounted it in my motor home. This was the first time I had really modified an RV and it led to many modifications in the future. I also found out that was the easiest modification I would do. Everything else was way more difficult.
We have since stained the bed, made a very nice cover for the cables and repainted the whole back room and it looks great. We still need to decide on a ladder style but overall a great mod.
| || |
Modification 3: Bathroom. I had been complaining about the bathroom since the motorhome pulled up to our house. It was too tight, you couldn't sit on the toilet and close the door and do your thing all at the same time. So one day I decided to fix it... and ripped everything but the tub out. Not the best way to do renovations. I had no idea how many little special parts or tools or equipment I would need. The toilet was disgusting. The cabinet work was so shoddy I wasn't able to reuse anything, and I tried, for about 6 months; I even had a functioning bathroom for a short amount of that time, but nothing worth looking at.
Overall we are very happy with the modifications that we have made and have plans for a few more. There have been small mods as well, here and there, nothing of note or that I have good pictures of. As we make changes we will show them on the blog here. For us, modifications make the difference between an RV being a vehicle or a home.