We left Liard on time the next morning intending to get to Chetwynd, which didn't happen because... We decided to hit the geocache, Beetle, about an hour from Ft. Nelson. Tried driving up the dirt road in our 33 foot motorhome but the road was slick due to recent rains. We then tried to back out but hit a soft spot that took us into the ditch at a precarious angle. We were unable to get out. We tried Danny's truck but it wasn't able to get enough traction, we dug, scraped, added trees, branches, tried to raise the wheel with a jack. Nothing we did seemed to even help. We sent Sunniva to find cell signal to call for a tow truck who finally showed up around 10:30pm but he was unable to make it down the road due to the continuing rain making it even more slick. He said that our best bet was to hope for sun the next day and call back. We waited, slept in Danny's fifth wheel that night, surprisingly not too packed with the eight of us. The next morning, no sun. Through the night the motorhome had slid farther into the mud.
After checking everything out Danny and I drove the 30 min to get cell service and called again. The tow service said they didn't think a regular motorhome tow truck would work and suggested a Cat or other piece of heavy machinery, preferably with tracks. I called Goodsam to see if that was covered under my roadside assistance insurance and it was, so the tow company started trying to locate a rig to send out to us, with the thought that it would be about 3+ hours to get to us and the biggest they knew about was a John Deer 450 landscaping tractor. We said we would talk to some of the rigs out where we were as well.
On our way back we found a grader and asked if he could help. He said we would have to ask his boss who would be there in 10 min. When the boss arrived we talked to him and he said that they would help after they fixed a section of road they were working on. We thanked them and went back to cell service to tell the tow truck company who said that sounded like a more likely option and they would stand by as a backup option.
The grader, driven by Ed, showed up around 3:30 pm that evening. Ed thought he could get down the road without problem and proceeded to back down. He started having problems about 250 yards in, so he turned around and graded it twice to try and get down to dry dirt. After failing he decided to just go for it. While it took a bit of manoeuvring to get all the way to the motorhome he did, in fact, make it. Once he got there we hooked a chain between us and he seemed doubtful. But it was our best option at the time so we decided to give it a shot. He started pulling just as I put it in neutral and immediately his six wheels started spinning. Ed used his knowledge of the graders capabilities to articulate in such a way as to get some traction. We started moving! But not in the direction I had anticipated, instead of going towards the road we cut deeper into the hillside creating huge furrows as we plowed backwards through the clay. I tried steering, but to no avail, the rig was going where it wanted and I just had to keep the wheels from going sideways and snapping under the shear power of Ed's grader. At one point I went so lateral I felt as if I were about to tip over completely but Ed plowed on, his grader writhing like a snake in a sometimes seemingly vain attempt to maintain traction.
I got out, shaking, to survey the possible damage, amazingly there was none, every aspect of the undercarriage caked with the red clay of the road, but I could find no damage. After being stuck for over 26 hours we were free.
And the kicker? The geocache we were going after wasn't even down that road. It was across the street up a very well kept, wide, hard packed road. Sunniva and Rachel walked up and got it, they figured after all that we went through they were not going to leave it unfound.