I have been debating for awhile on if I wanted to post our road trip itinerary on this site. I originally did not want to release it until we had completed the road trip ourselves. I now realize that we aren't going to be able to accomplish this anytime soon, we just do not have the funds for it. So, if someone can use it that would be great.
I haven't figured out how to travel without money. I have seen many blog posts about and heard people say that you don't need money to travel but I don't believe it. You do need some money or a means to make money on the road (which we don't have). We need money to put gas in the RV or to pay for food at the grocery store, they have never let us leave without paying first. Granted, most of the posts don't have our situation in mind. They are aimed at singles traveling overseas, not families who still have to have a house to come home to at the end of the trip. There's also the issue of living up north. It takes a couple days to get down to civilization and, when there, we would like to experience some of it. Eat good food at places we don't have, visit a zoo or aquarium or amusement park as we have no idea when we will be near one again. Anyway, I digress.
I will post the road trip plan on here and if someone else does it first, let us know how it went. It is an epic road trip and took awhile to plan.
- Visit and spend at least 1 night in every territory and province of Canada, and every State in the US. (We have since modified this to exclude Nunavut and Hawaii - we would love to include them but the cost is just too much)
- Drive for 3 days and then take the fourth day (or so) off driving.
- Take week long breaks from driving every so often.
- Drive no more than 4 hours a day. This was about the journey, not a destination.
- Stop to take detours when we see something interesting. Largest ball of yarn up on the left? Let's go.
- Do at least 1 geocache a day.
- Visit, when possible, the best in North America: amusement park, water park, aquarium, zoo.
- When travelling near a coast stay near the coast.
- Let the kids plan days, navigate, decide where to stay, etc. This was their trip too.
- Try to stay at free camping places except on our fourth "stay" day.... those days can be at RV parks.
- Try to avoid snow and ice as we aren't sure how well our rigs would handle this, and we get enough of it at home.
- Have some unplanned days for unplanned events.
If you download the 3 Google Earth files below and add them as layers, the entire road trip, minus Nunavut and Hawaii, will be laid out.
| || |